Diary of a Single Nigerian Lady. By @joroolumofin
(Juxtaposition of Cognition I.e I put myself in the shoes of a single Nigerian lady)
“As much as I love Nigeria, our culture can be subjective and bias. Being single is like an illness or a curse. The “when are you getting married” question? irritates me. I can’t propose to myself. I hate being in Nigeria now. I wish I could move to Europe where I won’t be judged. It’s bad enough that society and family make you feel inferior because you’re single. Then friends that were single with you will now also cut you off after they get married. I’m actually done”.
Dear Married friend (s) , those of you who have decided to cut me off because you think you’re now better than me. God Bless you!
1. I bought your pricy Asoebi & wedding gown (50 -70k).
2. I paid makeup fee for your wedding (15k).
3. I traveled out of Abuja / Lagos 3 times with you for introduction, thanksgiving and engagement.
4. I participated and planned your hen night like it was my own.
5. I carried your wedding gown and followed you all day on your special day.
6. I wiped your tears & made sure sweat didn’t ruin your makeup on your big day.
7. I served your guests like I would serve my own.
8. I protected all your secrets and gave you moral support until you entered your home happily.
9. I answered all your calls and text at any hour of the day. *If I didn’t I’m Enemy of Progress or a Hater*
Then you got pregnant, you hid it from me like I’m the witch or “Aje” in your village eating all the children. I found out you were pregnant on Instagram like everyone else. Really?
You hardly pick my calls anymore, you don’t reply messages but you like pictures all day on IG wedding blogs and change your whatsapp DP. Am I now inferior to you because you’re a bride? When you needed me why didn’t you ignore? When I get married will you want to be My friend again? Your husband keeps asking why we aren’t close, what did I do wrong ?
A lot of single ladies go through this and worse. DO YOU AGREE ?